Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Monday, May 17, 2010

What Constitutes Rape

It is quite simple-- unconsented sex.

It gets a little hazier than that once you get into college-- or more specifically when you drink.  Someone that my family knows was recently expelled from his college for date rape.  Obviously, I am not going to defend a rapist, but I don't think he was a rapist. 

Here is essentially how it worked out.  Boy and girl get drunk.  They have intimate relations, then fall asleep.  After waking, neither of the two remember in vivid detail what had happened and the girl, understandably afraid and vulnerable, claims that she has been raped.  Indeed, it makes sense that a girl cannot consent to sex when she is drunk.   But, by the same logic, can't the man not consent to sex either.

One has to look at it in a rather archeic way, in order to justify the expulsion.  You would have to say, it seems to me, that a man, who is more partial to sex than a girl, is the one who took power in the situation.  This seems a little outdated to me.  For something that is meant to liberate women (date rape policies) they seem to do just the opposite IN THIS CASE.  Of course, there are cases of real date rape, but I am talking about a boy and a girl both getting intoxicated, then having intercourse.  Should we blamwe this all on the man and assume that a woman is too feeble to have any say in the matter?

No comments:

Post a Comment