Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kagan an Elitst?

Elena Kagan is probably going to be confirmed for the Supreme Court.  If she does, all of the justices will have gone to either Yale or Harvard Law School (one graduated from Columbia, but was originally enrolled at Harvard).  On top of that, 4 out of the nine justices will have been from New York burroughs.

Now, I'm not one to worry about intellectuals running our country, but I have to wonder if Kagan, or the supreme court, are really able to represent a majority of America.  New York, one of the most progressive cities in the union, seems overly represented.  Beyond that, I would never argue that scholars at Yale or Harvard are unintelligent, but are they any less intelligent than someone at Cornell or Stanford or even a reputable state school like Illinois or Michigan?

I have no problem with the fact that all of the justices are incredibly bright-- some people argue that they are out of touch with America, but I think that truly intelligent people know what is best for our country better than us regular folk.  I think that Kagan, who is undoubtedly an intellectual, will lead our country well.

I think that our country should be lead by intellectuals, not politicians.  Though, someone could make ther argument that intellectuals tend to be more open to liberal ideas, and thus I agree with them.  What do you think, should our country be lead by great leaders or by intellectuals? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment