Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Friday, May 14, 2010

TV Everywhere

Tivo is coming out with a new product, Tivo Premiere.  It is basically the same as old Tivo, except that now you can use your Cell Phone (which, for many, can work as a TV) to schedule recordings.  This got me thinking-- are our lives too saturated by TV.  In class we talked about how the average person uses about 8 hours of screen time a day, I think that TVs are no longer what we intended them to be.  Of course, I was not around when TV was invented, but from the stories of parents and folklore, the 4 shows a day were considered something important that the whole family would get together for.

Personally, I do not watch much TV with my whole family.  One of my friend's families watches 24 together, but other than that, I can't think of anyone taking part in this antiquated ritual with their family.  I watch TV alone or, if there is nothing better to do, with friends.  I wonder what you think of TV, did it bring families together originally? Is it breaking families apart in modern life?

1 comment:

  1. In my family, TV seems to bring us together, but it probably actually is driving us apart. On sunday nights, we often watch a few episodes of Scrubs together and I thought that this made for good family time until I started reading this and realized that we could spend that family time talking or walking the dog, rather than glued to the tube. Talk about opportunity costs...

    ReplyDelete