Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Israel part deux: Why I am mad at Israel

Netanyahu-- Not only did he announce new settlements in the West Bank the day of Joe Biden's arrival in Israel, he said what, if you ask me, is the most inflammatory statement ever.  This is what he said of Goldstone:

"We face three major strategic challenges: the Iranian nuclear program, Rockets launched at our civilians and Goldstone."

I was really angry when he said this.  I know that he put goldstone in the same group as Iran and Hamas because he justified their actions as opposed to forthrightly helping them, but I simply do not think that this was an acceptable thing to say.  Dissent from within is what is supposed to set you apart from your enemies.  If you lose that, you are left with nothing.

My fellow teacher at Sunday School was trying to argue that the UN was full of antisemites and biased against Israel (as evidence by the Goldstone Report).  That seems like the most inflammatory comment I have ever heard.  Simply look at what Israel gets away with compared to every other country in that area.  They have a "secret" nuclear program.  They invade disputed areas consistently without repercussion.  They continue to hold the unwavering love of America (see my next post for that).

Someone said on NPR that Israel was a country run by the equivalent of all Mike Huckabees who believe they are fighting a holy war against the ungodly. That explains alot.

1 comment:

  1. "My fellow teacher at Sunday School was trying to argue that the UN was full of antisemites and biased against Israel"

    Wow, really? That's pretty stereotypical...

    Sort of reminds me of Turkey. Sweden recently labeled the armenian genocide as... well, a /genocide/, and Turkey recalled its Swedish ambassador... "in protest."
    In protest? Really?

    I'm not paralleling genocide to Israel/West Bank by any means (although it's slightly ironic that Israel is also drafting a recognition of the Armenian genocide that Turkey is also upset about), but the reaction of being offended by other people merely acknowledging something in the past happened, as if it's some sort of conspiracy theory, really annoys me. It's also pretty irritating that the US has to choose between acknowledging war crimes in Israel and having it as an ally, especially considering the US was one in only 18 opposing the findings of the Goldstone report.

    ReplyDelete