Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Do Words Hold a Meaning?

Coprolalia is what most people actually think of when they think of Tourettes.  Coprolalia is when someone uncontrollably yells or utters an obscenity.  This seems odd, considering my former belief that words are merely social constructs that we give meaning.

I guess what learning that Coprolalia is a true thing has lead me to a believe that words have meaning beyond what we give them.  They are something bigger than that.

My question, then, is do you think that words get their meaning because of what we give them or is there something deeper?  Is there a naturally cruel sound to the N word or the F word?  Are these words biologically wrong, or do they just become so ingrained in our heads that they become socially unacceptable?  As humans we have literally turned noises into emotions (I think).

In light of this, what do you think of censorship and political  correctness?

No comments:

Post a Comment