Oh dear...

Oh dear...

Favorite Post Q4

My favorite post from quarter three is my post entitled "Gross
National Happiness."

I think that this post did a successful job of combining succinct descriptions of unknown terms with links to more elaborate descriptions. I also think that I did a good job of mixing my own theories with those of the hosts of "Stuff You Should Know."

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Constitutionality of Child Molesters Part Trois

So practically, what should we do with child molesters.  First, I am going to say that locking them up and forgetting them is not the theory that I posit.

First, there is no question that, according to a vast majority of our society, child rape is undoubtedly wrong (it is given the term child abuse).  But then, is it fair to jail the people who are rapists.  People do not choose to be child molesters; they do not choose the desire that they are burdened with.  I don't think that they should be let directly into mainstream society.  As this Wall Street Journal article points out, the recidivism rates of child rapists are not known for sure, but to lower recidivism as much as possible, there should be rehabilitation houses in lieu of prison time for child molesters.  They should be set free when a trained psychologist, not a judge or jail officials, deems them ready.

I think that we need halfway houses, so to speak, for these sexual offenders.  There are some that work quite well, both in ideological and practical terms. This seems to be "cruel and unusual" punishment to me.  As my father, a lawyer, points out, jail sentences are in existence to punish, rehabilitate, and deter others. It seems unfair to punish people with pathological malnormities; like punishing an alcoholic for drinking. I can't imagine a reputable psychiatrist who would say that prison is a better way to rehabilitate than therapy. A jail sentence may deter some molesters, but not many as most molesters have pathological issues that make them want children; I do not need to be deterred from this and deterring men and women with these desires is not proving very effective.

It seems a hard decision to make, considering the children that may be at risk given a wrong decision.  I think that, given the relative successes of the group therapy situations, that seems to be the most promising possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment